More Antivirus Reviews
Webroot Antivirus with Spy Sweeper Review
Product: Antivirus, Antispyware
Systems: : Microsoft Windows XP with SP1 or higher, Microsoft Windows Vista 32-bit, Microsoft Windows Vista (32- and 64-bit) SP1, Windows 7 32 and 64 bit (all Editions)
Webroot Antivirus with Spy Sweeper is literally the sum of two different products, an antivirus engine licensed from Sophos and Webroot’s own award-winning antispyware module, aka Spy Sweeper. The result is a very good antispyware with good virus detection rate, which might have a few hiccups on some systems. A try-before-you-buy is strongly recommended.
- Very good antispyware
- Nice user interface
- Heavy on system resources
- Limited set of features
- Very slow scan speed
Detection rate: 8
Webroot's original know-how comes from the antispyware arena. Their Spy Sweeper has collected more awards than any other product on the antispyware sector. As the line between viruses and spyware blurred, Webroot have decided to integrate an antivirus engine to their antispyware module, and they have chosen Sophos, an industry leader in the antivirus segment for the business market. The result is a product with high capabilities as antispyware and average antivirus detection rate, with minimal false alarms.
Light on resources: 5
Webroot Antivirus is not light on computer resources. It slows down the startup well above average, the memory consumption is high, and the probability of clashing with other security products is quite high. The impact on the system during a full scan is so high that it makes it unfeasible during working hours.
Ease of Use: 8
On the plus side Webroot Antivirus with Spy Sweeper makes the administration of your security and the on-demand scanning very easy and certainly cheerful, when compared to other products. Webroot's Spy Sweeper, antispyware module shines for its ability to smoothly remove malware. Really excellent.
- Multi-layered Protection Against Threats and Intrusions
- Includes integrated online backup and restore capabilities to protect users' files
- Proactive Real-time Threat Protection
- Inbound and Outbound Email Scanning
- Webroot antivirus enables you to email a download link instead of a large attachment
- Online and phone support absolutely FREE
Scan Speed: 5
As mentioned before, a Full Scan is better scheduled overnight, because the system would grind to a halt. On the top of that, it won't be done in a flash either, as it is one of the slowest. Thankfully, you can run a "Quick Scan" during working hours, should you need, which will reduce the "unavailability" of your computer to an acceptable amount of time.
Value for money: 7
Webroot Antivirus with Spy Sweeper offers a good overall protection and makes users' life very easy, both during and after the installation. The lacklustre set of features, the general "resource hogging" feeling and the fact that it is licensed for a single computer, make it difficult for us to recommend it over other products, in our "top 10".
Supported Operating Systems
- Windows XP SP1 SP2, SP3 (32 bit versions of Professional, Home, Media Center, or XP Tablet)
- Windows Vista (32 bit versions of Home Basic, Premium, Business, or Ultimate)
- Windows Vista SP1 (32 and 64 bit versions of (Home Basic, Premium, Business, or Ultimate)
Hardware and Software Requirements
- 300 MHz processor
- 100 MB hard drive space
- 256 MB RAM
- Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher or FireFox 2.0 or higher for connecting to the Webroot web site.